20 July 1956 Memorandum
Air Force Request to Declassify an OSI Paper on UFO's
REFERENCE: CIA/OSI "Report on the Scientific Panel on Unidentified Fly Objects", dated February 1953.
1. Mrs Sara B. Hunt, of the Office of Information, Office of the Screretary of the Air Force, visited Mr D. B. Stevenson on 19 July 1966 to discuss an Air Force request to declassify the referenced report.
2. Mrs. Hunt indicated that this request was tiggered by the 12 May "CBS Reports" program. Dr. H. P. Robertson, Chairman of the panel, was on the show and reportedly made sufficient references to CIA involvement in UFO Analysis to cause a press reaction.
3. A review of the documents supplied by Mrs. Hunt showed that Mr. Phil Strong had approved a similar AIr Forced request in December 1957. This resulted in a sanitized version of the original consultant's report. This report presented most of the conclusions but it did not refer to the original meeting minutes, case historiesm or indicate CIA involvement. Mrs. Bladmin has ISO copies of the reports and correspondence.
4. Although the Air Force now in OSI does not request additional declassification, Mrs. Hunt expressed the view that this was intended. Mrs. Hunt said that the Air Force is now trying to declassify all U.S. Government work on UFO's.
5. Inasmuch as my review of the original material showed that significant deletions would be required for further declassification, I suggested that Mrs. Hunt ask the Air Force originator to submit a second request, if they wanted to declassification of additional material from the minutes and case histories.
6. Mrs. Hunt said that a more specific request would be sent to us in the near future.
7. Mr. Loomis is holding the recent Air Force request until Mrs. Hunt contacts us.
David B. Stevenson