- ARCADE VIDEO GAME
- BASIC PROGRAMMING CARTRIDGE
- ZGRASS-32 COMPUTER KEYBOARD
Bally ARCADE video game
The Bally ARCADE has been developed by the leader in commercial arcade games. It is now available from Astrovision, Inc. of Columbus, Ohio.
The industries' most complete line of ROM cartridge software includes the Bally classics: Astro Battle, Football, Tornado Baseball, Bally Pin, and many more. Cartridges now in production include the best in sports, space simulations, and strategy games. And, of course, the ARCADE is still the ONLY home video game with four built-in games and four player capability.
More control, color, sound effects
The ARCADE gives you more control over the action because it is the only video game with 8-way hand controls. Joysticks, knob, and trigger allow software designers to create more interactive games with more kinds of motion. These games and other programs on the ARCADE are more colorful, too, because the complete color spectrum is available with 256 color choices. The tunes and realistic gunshots are created with a three-channel music synthesizer and sound effects generator. These features allow professional designers to create better software on the ARCADE than on other video games.
Triple processor system
The ARCADE contains three computer processors, operating in parallel for faster motion, better sound, and highest realism on the screen. While other video games use only one, the ARCADE has three processors, costing millions of dollars to develop.
Because of this added computing power in the ARCADE, all of the games and other software are more interactive and more fun.
- CPU or central processing unit is the powerful Z-80 computer chip, operating at 1.8MHz. In addition to the central computer, two custom processors are used in this unique combination.
- VIDEO PROCESSOR, designed specifically for the ARCADE and for Bally's professional arcade systems, operates at 7MHz and increases the animation speed 20 times. This custom LSI chip handles all color manipulation for better animation effects.
- I/O PROCESSOR, another custom chip, handles the joystick and keypad inputs and creates the sound effects. Full input control includes up to four 8-way joysticks with trigger, four analog to digital converters, and 24-key keypad. This chip also creates the special music and sound effects. Three separate sound synthesizers with both AM and FM noise and a frequency range from 2 Hz to 100 kHz provide the most flexible sound system available in any video game.
Unique 8K ROM library
A library of special software effects are built into the 8K ROM, furnished with every ARCADE. These software routines for color and sound effects are used with all ARCADE plug-in games. Included in the ROM are the Bally classics: Gunfight and Checkmate. This ROM also contains Scribbling and the Calculator.
Expands to BASIC computer, and more
You can expand the ARCADE two ways. Add the Bally BASIC cartridge and turn your ARCADE into a BASIC computer you can program yourself. Or choose the Zgrass keyboard expansion, and your ARCADE becomes the most powerful personal computer available today
Bally BASIC programming system
There's no easier way to learn about computers than with the new Bally BASIC system. This plug-in cartridge with built-in audio tape interface converts your ARCADE into a personal computer you can program yourself. Computer Learning Lab, an optional self-teaching system, help you learn programming while you create computer games, electronic music, and video art. The library of BASIC software on inexpensive cassettes expands these applications, and teaches more advanced programming techniques.
Easiest BASIC to learn
This version of BASIC is ideal for learning about computers because you can easily program colors and shapes, music, and sound effects. Simple words like LINE and BOX make drawing on the screen simple and direct. You can select from 256 possible combinations in picking each of the two colors on the screen.
The built-in music system converts the keypad into a 3-octave music keyboard, including sharps and flats. You can also create space sounds and other effects by controlling the synthesizer directly in your programs.
New features for 1981
Four new features make Bally BASIC more powerful and even easier to use. The audio tape interface is now built into the cassette and operates at 1800 baud. An editor, second array, and a trace command have been added to the language.
- AUDIO CASSETTE INTERFACE lets you save or load programs with your cassette tape recorder. You can load a program in only 10 seconds; and multiple programs may be stored on a single cassette. A standard recorder and audio cable are the only additional equipment required.
- LINE EDITOR makes it easy to change or modify any line in your programs without retyping the complete line.
- TWO ARRAYS simplify storing and retrieving information. The @ array and the * array are used for assembly language programs, program constants, and similar data.
- TRACE FEATURE makes it easy to understand software by showing you exactly what each line in a program does. To trace any program step-by-step, just press the LIST key while a program is running, and the computer will list each line in the program as it carries out the instructions.
ZGRASS-32 computer keyboard
The Zgrass keyboard plugs into the ARCADE to give you a full typewriter keyboard and number pad. You also get additional memory with 32K additional RAM and 24K ROM. The additional RAM gives you more space for creating and storing longer programs. The additional 24K ROM contains powerful system software that makes this the easiest computer to use.
With the Zgrass keyboard expansion, your ARCADE becomes the ideal personal computer and the most powerful system available for creating graphics on the TV screen.
In addition to meeting all standard home computing applications and requirements, the Zgrass computer also provides extended capabilities for creating graphs, visual displays, interactive teaching systems, advanced video games, business simulations, electronic music, TV commercials, video titles, and video animation.
Expansion modules include disks, drawing tablets, monitors, light pens, and a host of RS—232 accessories.
Easier to use
The Zgrass system is easier to use because this computer language is not limited to the few words in BASIC. You can learn to write interesting and useful programs more easily because this graphics system is specifically designed for creating games. graphs, video art, and other visual effects. While you can create some of these effects on other computers, the Zgrass computer makes it easier because the system is designed for immediate use by artists, teachers, businessmen, and musicians with little or no programming experience.
Expandable to over 100K
Over 100K of RAM and ROM memory capacity make the ARCADE with Zgrass keyboard by far the largest personal computer available today. This computing power makes the computer easier for you to use and vastly expands the things you can create.
In standard configuration, the ARCADE provides 4K of screen RAM for dynamic storage of the screen image.
Plug-in cartridges with up to 16K ROM may be used for additional languages, turnkey graphic systems, and other software expansion.
The keyboard contains 32K RAM, expandable to 64K RAM, and 24K ROM. The RAM adds capacity, allowing you to create and use larger programs. The ROM contains two important features: the Zgrass computer language and a complete scientific mathematics package.
The most valuable component in the Zgrass computer keyboard is the 24K ROM containing this unique programming language. You will see the difference in the programs you create and in the software you will be able to purchase for your system.
Zgrass software includes:
- A full-screen text editor
- POINT, LINE , BOX, and CIRCLE commands.
- 160 x 100 pixel resolution in four colors.
- String manipulation including match, concatenation, replacement, etc.
- Multi-dimensional arrays and string arrays.
- Advanced user-extensibility at several levels.
- Both interpreted and compiled modes.
- Fully automatic storage allocation and reclamation. Automatic type conversion between integer, floating, and strings. No need to declare variable types.
Extended math package
Math functions included in Zgrass make this computer ideal for any scientific application. Unlike many other personal computers, this system contains the computational power and accuracy required for serious calculations. At least 100 times faster than programmable scientific calculators, this system maintains 13 digit accuracy.
The full math package includes: sine, cosine, tangent, arctan, arccos, arcsin, power, natural and base ten logarithms, and square root.
Either the TV speaker or your stereo sound system may be used for playing back audio signals on the cassette. This provides complete voice and music capability for CAI, computer adventures, employee training, point-of-purchase display, and many other applications where high quality sound and programs can be combined.
Unlimited expansion with low-cost accessories
The Zgrass computer keyboard is your interface to the many accessories and external systems available today. Two standard RS232 interfaces, two audio cassette interfaces with DC motor control, and a connector for standard floppy disks are all included. These and many other optional accessories simply plug in:
- TV PRINTER creates hard-copy of any screen image, including: business forms, forecasts, graphs, charts, mailing labels, and other publishing or word processing data.
- LIGHT PEN draws directly on the screen as you create artwork, respond to a menu, or interact with other programs.
- BIT PAD digitizer inputs standard artwork, maps, and models in either two or three dimensions for computer display or analysis.
- FLOPPY DISKS let you play back all Zgrass disk software and store your own programs, slide shows, graphs, pictures, text, accounts, and other data on disks.
- DUAL CASSETTES provide low-cost storage of programs, pictures, and other data. All you need to add is one or two standard cassette recorders; the complete 1800 BAUD interface with DC motor control is built into the keyboard. At this unusually high BAUD rate, you can load any program in 80 seconds or less. The dual DC motor controls let the computer start and stop the cassettes to merge files or select audio or program data.
- SLIDE COPIER works with any 35mm SLR to create slides from your TV screen. You can make graphs and illustrations for slide shows, or create film animation sequences.
- SOUND SYSTEM output is standard and connects to the "tuner" or "aux" input on any audio amplifier. Under computer control, you can program music or sound effects that are played through your own sound system. This gives you the full sonic effects contained in many game and music programs.
Astrovision: your marketing opportunity
The ARCADE, BASIC cartridge, Zgrass keyboard, and complete software support are marketed by Astrovision. Dan Dawson, Astrovision President, recently remarked, "We are totally dedicated to the personal computing industry." "Our sole purpose is the continued evolution of computers as business, professional, and personal instruments." See Dan at CES booth 2501 or contact: Astrovision, 6460 Busch Blvd., Suite 215, Columbus, OH 43229. 1-800-848-6989